Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pond watch

We watched a female Common Green Darner
lay eggs.
The Green Darners are one of the dragonflies our study group is tracking.

We watched Spreadwings.
They are hard to ID.
 I think this one is an Aurora Damsel.

My beginner's guide to Dragonflies states," At least 35 species of bluets are known from North America, presenting the novice with a bewildering identification challenge." I am a novice.
 I think this is a female Familiar Bluet.


Common Whitetail Dragonflies
were flying and laying eggs.


The pond was busy today with Bull frogs and turtles.

I am recording the butterflies we see during
our pond watch.
Always delightful to see the Variegated Fritillary.

Lots of Painted Ladies

and Orange Sulphurs today.

This Duskywing is to tattered for me to id.
He was patrolling his territory.

The American Snouts are early this year.
They migrate from northern Texas.

I saw a few Prairie Blue-eyed Grass in bloom.

Pond Watch is very fun.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Dear Sherry,

Spring has sprung, and your world is as pretty as a picture.
I love the green darter......green is my colour this year, I am just loving green.
So many butterflies....
We are expecting two inches of rain today and gales.....no butterflies, or bees.
The garden is waterlogged, the ditches nearly full and the ponds are overflowing.....and yet the environmentalists tell us we are still in drought.
My heart goes out to the birds who are trying so hard to feed their young........a difficult Spring for them :(

kirstallcreatures said...

The variegated fritillary is really pretty

Gaby Bee said...

Hi - after you left such a nice comment on my blog, I decided to hop over to yours...and I am so glad I did. Your nature photos are amazing! I will be back soon and I hope you will visit my blog again sometime:)

Cheers,
Gaby

sarah said...

All photos are very beautiful and captured details.
I have never seen that a dragonfly lays eggs and I realizesd for the first time that the butterfly has territory.
It's interesting to see your nature for me.
Thank you for sharing.