Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blizzard

It was snowing when I awoke this morning.

It continued to snow all day.

The backyard filled with birds
looking for seed.

As the afternoon wore on
we had white out conditions.


We decided to bake cookies


and muffins.


We perked a pot of specialty coffee


to go with our cookies while


we kept an eye on the birds.


The prayer flags blew blessings
to those who were out in the blizzard.



Our hearts are with those who
are alone tonight, may they take hope.


We know the storm will pass
and the Fair Maids of  February,
the Snowdrops, will emerge.


Tonight we are in a state of emergency.


It is not fit for man nor beast
to be outdoors.


I am snuggled up in my blankets


thinking about snowmen

and the ways people have survived
the ice and snow.


I am thinking about the bugs.

I am thinking about
all the life under the snow.

It is February.

It is St. Brigid day.


I think I will make Valentine's.


This is a storm for the record books.


5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Dear Sherry, I have been watching the news this morning and KC was featured. The blizzard stretches far and wide.
May you be safe and stay warm.
I worry about the bugs to.....I have shed many tears for wildlife this year. I hope and pray that my bees bugs and birds will survive the worst winter I can remember.

Holding you and your gardens in my heart......

Naturegirl said...

Sherry I shutter when I think of the cold you and all these birds experience this COLDEST winter I hear.
I feel so blessed that I am abe to escape to a warmer climate..having said that...AZ is breaking records for freezing temps. today and tomorrow..poor golfers.
I do miss not seeing the cardinals.Stay warm dear friend.

John said...

Nice job with the post, thanks

Judy said...

Sherry, I love all the shots of the cardinals! Glad you survived the big storm! We were just on the northern edge of it, as it turned to head out to the Atlantic, so did not get a lot of snow, but the winds were something to write home about!

Unknown said...

I just came across your blog and it is absolutely lovely. I would love to know the name of the book with the fairy illustrations and poetry that you posted. Thank you.