Sunday, May 27, 2007

Passion

In March I was passionate.
I was filled with enthusiasm.
I had zest and zeal.

In April the bitter cold came.
I watched as bud and bloom froze.
I waited to see what would survive.

In May the Hummingbirds and Orioles returned.
Butterflies dried their wings.
I set up nectar pots.

Now I wait.

I am glad it is a rainy weekend.
I have sowed seeds.
I sowed millions of seeds.

My seed box is slowly emptying.
Soon there will be sprouts then blooms.
I will pick beans and tomatoes.


When the scent of Jasmine fills the air,
when the roses climb again
I will fill my vases.

In my despondency I do have hope.
Otherwise
I would never have planted all those seeds.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, seeds are promises of tomorrow's joy to come.

sugarsandsalts said...

Being alive is not just breathing in and out..

Q said...

Dear Becky,
Sometimes it is hard to keep the fire of passion going. I have been gardening for 35 years and I think I might be getting a little tiredThe april freese was very hard on me. I feel as if I am starting to be excited again.
I am sure once I pick veggies and see the butterflies on all my flowers I will be excited again.
At least I have a measure of hope.
Sherry

Q said...

Dear Sugarandsalts,
That is so true. Sometimes tho I need to breath and keep my blood in until the excitment of life returns. It always does!
Sherry

Naturegirl said...

Absolute poetry!Lovely prose!
LoVe the passion flower!hugs NG

Q said...

Dear Naturegirl,
Thank you.
I think you understand how waiting on flowers to bloom is hard. The passionflower vine I over winter each year. I do save the seed and sow in the pot so I have new vines growing.
I love to garden but I do get tired.
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Yes, I get tired too . . . my body but not my soul.
Winter was harsh on my garden and i was over-whelmed but now that I see the weeds are thinning out and the flowers are peeking out . . . a robin is visiting, a gray squirrel has ventured in and seeds i planted 2 years ago ( ! ) are just now budding out . . . i am rejouvenated ( sp ?? ) or should i just say, "Yippeeee"

Q said...

Dear Becky,
Yeah, for yippeee!!
The beginnings of spring are always exciting.
Glad your growing season is filled with hope. Winter can be hard on those of us that are outdoor-sy..
I enjoy you. Your enthusiasm is catching.
Thanks!
Sherry