Thursday, December 20, 2007

Yuletide

I walked in the cemetery.
It is warm outside,
49 degrees and sunny.

I stopped at my Grandson's tree.
It is bejeweled with shimmering glass ornaments.
I said my Yuletide blessing.
Many graves have been tended to in these last few days.
Many homemade tokens decorate the tombstones.

Almost all the snow is melted now.
The geese find plenty of fresh water in the puddles.


I am thinking about how once the coming of longer days was celebrated.
In the olde ways people celebrated Winter Solstice also known as Yule.
For the next week I will be walking in Portland, Oregon.
I will be walking with my daughter.
We will celebrate the Yuletide.

5 comments:

smilnsigh said...

I have learned something more, about you... I'm sorry it is a sad thing, though. But you sound as if you handle this too, in your calm way.

I wish you and your daughter wonderful walks, while celebrating Yuletide.

Mari-Nanci

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mari-Nanci, it's sad to hear about this too.

Q said...

Dear Mari-Nanci,
Our Grandson was a delight.
He gifted us with love and joy.
He also taught us how to live in the now. Priceless gifts.
As I watch his tree grow I am reminded that each minute of life is a gift.
I am not sad. I am happy and very much at peace.
The day light is slowly growing longer now. Celebrating the return of the light is what Yuletide is all about for me.
May you also enjoy the return of the light!
Sherry
Sherry

Q said...

Dear Cathy,
It is the way of nature. We celebrate life.
Thank you for your kind support.
Merry Christmas.
May you receive lots and lots of books!
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.